Joseph C. L. Tong was born 1981 in Hong Kong, China. He currently lives and works between Berlin, London & Hong Kong. Between 1999 and 2002 he earned a BA (hons) in Philosophy at the King's College, London.
Tong creates conceptual works through a multidisciplinary approach and a variety of media, which includes the elements of oil painting, sculpture, site-specific installation and media art that explore the concepts of duality and dimensional potentialities. He is constantly combining and contrasting various theories, genres, and processes within the confines of a single work, utilizing geometric shapes and organic forms as the principal components of abstraction.
Using unusual and highly aestheticized industrial materials – such as Latex, radiant foil, structured Plexiglas and mirrors – his interactive works challenge the traditional notion of the passive viewer, by achieving a sense of tension between viewer and the lustrous surfaces occupying each work. The optical effects created in the series "Spiegel im Spiegel", 2014 let the viewer explore the immersive, illusory and metaphorical possibilities of reflection.
By experimenting with aleatoric techniques, he formalizes the coincidental and emphasizes the conscious process of composition that is behind the seemingly random works. In "L’Apparition", 2014/2015, the series become a visual manifestation of the condition of dimensional potentialities. As the mirrored effect of the surface Plexiglas reflects its surroundings; the topographical image beneath entices the viewer to look beyond the surface.
Tong creates situations in which familiar objects are altered or detached from their natural functions, applying specific combinations and certain manipulations of mediums to inspire different contexts, thereby questioning the conditions of appearance of an image. His works feature coincidental and accidental connections that explore core notions of duality that leads to multi-layered, perceptible analogies.
His solo online exhibition was displayed at Greis & Schiefer from February unitl April 2016.
Recent group exhibitions include:
- 2016 (Upcoming) "Art Central", Hong Kong
- 2015 (Current Exhibition) "Bernheimer Contemporary", Berlin
- 2015 (Current Exhibition) "Opera Gallery", Paris, London, Monaco, Zurich
- 2014 "Infimum", Centre of Arts, Hong Kong
- 2014 "Bloomberg Emerging Artists", Hong Kong Civic Centre, Hong Kong
- 2014 "Chaim Sheba + Christies Auction", Schloss Bellevue, Berlin
- 2014 "Spiegel im Spiegel", Woeske Gallery, Berlin
- 2014 "Summer Exhibition", Royal Academy, London
- 2013 "Chaim Sheba + Christies Auction", Reichstagspraesidentenpalais, Berlin
Recent solo exhibitions include:
- 2016 "Greis & Schiefer Online Gallery", Frankfurt
- 2015 "Stratum", Pop-Up Gallery Nomad, Hong Kong
- 2014 "Dreamscapes", Hong Kong Economic & Trade Office, Berlin